Tongmuguan is the legendary birthplace of black tea not only in China, but in the entire world! The teas that are produced in this region are unlike any other black teas ever produced: they are clean and sweet, robust and wild, and embody both the traditional processing of the people and the barely touched nature reserve from which they come.
In the box we offer 5 different types of Lapsang Souchong (正山小种 - Zhengshan Xiaozhong). Three of these teas have been smoked in the Zhang family’s traditional Qinglou (wooden smoke house). While two have been made in the Unsmoked, new production method. The Zhang household is are a five generation tea making family and have some of the oldest, tallest, and most wild black tea bushes we have ever encountered. Their beautiful trees, the isolated high-mountain location of their land, and their generational knowledge of tea production all give these teas a very special place in the One River Tea lineup.
In the set:
- 7g Masu Old Bush Smoked Lapsang Souchong
- 7g Masu Old Bush Unsmoked Lapsang Souchong
- 7g Tongmuguan Young Bush Smoked Lapsang Souchong
- 7g Tongmuguan Young Bush Unsmoked Lapsang Souchong
- 7g Masu Clipped Smoked 2013 Lapsang Souchong
This sample box has three purposes.
1. To taste the difference between the New Production methods (i.e. unsmoked) and the Traditional Production style (smoked).
2. To taste the difference between Laocong (old bush tea) and Young bush tea.
3. To taste the difference between an aged black tea (from 2013) and fresh black teas (finished in June of 2021).
We are so happy to be able to provide such a wide range of tastes and flavors and hope this tasting set goes far beyond just a simple introduction to Tongmuguan teas. With this box, hopefully in the future you can more clearly identify true Laocong flavors, True traditional smoke flavors, and properly aged black tea flavors.
The five teas are all packaged in 7g heat-sealed bags. Recommended brewing is is one pouch of tea in a 3-4 ounce gaiwan, or every in a traditional western teapot.
We are very excited to share this tea tasting opportunity, as it is one of the few ways to really understand the complexities of certain types of teas.
Check out the full offerings from the Zhang Family!